Yes, I do. It’s something that I don’t mind talking about, but which doesn’t usually get brought up in conversation, except by me.
When I do bring it up, it usually elicits a reaction, and over the years I’ve become something of a connoisseur of Reactions To I Have Parkinson’s.
So without further ado here are the top five worst and best reactions I’ve actually received from people when I told them I have Parkinson’s:
- “You know, my uncle/grandpa/neighbor had that, right up until he died.”
- “Have you tried meditation/pot/ginko leaves, etc…?”
- “Hmmm. You seem awfully young for that.” [While trying to figure out if I’m on meth.]
- “You know, (Celebrity X) has that and he/she does (Treatment Y), I saw it on (Television Program Z).”
- “I have this little twitch in my left eyelid, do you think that’s what I have?”
- “That sucks. Are you doing ok?”
- “Wow! You seem like you’re doing really well.”
- “What does that mean for you? Do you have a good doctor for that?”
- “Do you need any help? Is there anything I can do?”
- A hug.